Today (like every Friday) I'm linking up with Andrea at Momfessionals, Narci at Grace and Love Blog, & Erika at A Little Bit of Everything Blog.
However, I'm doing something a little different today. I'm sharing about one of my FAVORITE days ever. I've been wanting to write this post since before this blog really began & today is the day.
On one of Eric's days off in November, I decided I was going to have some one-on-one time with my oldest daughter, Emma. I was having a hard time deciding what we should do, so I decided to let her choose (in other words, I made her be decisive so I wouldn't have to). I asked her what she wanted to do with our time & she replied "go to Chicago". Well, that caught me by surprise! But, I decided to throw caution (and my usual careful planning) to the wind & be a little adventurous. We bundled up, packed a bag, and she asked if she could wear here "Anna" dress. Since I already had some good yes-mom momentum going, I agreed.
Emma asked if we could take the train. It's an hour train ride into the city, so I was a little nervous that my sweet 3 year old would change her mind half way there. She convinced me that she wouldn't, so I agreed that we could take the train downtown. I was excited, but a little nervous because we were pretty committed at this point. If things went poorly (read: if she had a potty accident) we didn't even have the comfort & safety of our car. Being in the city at the mercy of the train schedule with a 3 year old is a whole different kind of adventure.
So, off we went. And it was one of THE best days of my life. I enjoyed every moment with this sweet, funny, caring, silly, creative, beautiful girl.
We got a snowman cookie from Starbucks.
We took goofy selfies on the train.
I gave her the choice of taking a boat taxi or a car taxi to the Disney store on Michigan Avenue. She chose a car taxi. She can legally ride in a taxi without a car seat, so she felt like such a big girl buckled in the back (and I definitely prayed for safety as soon as we got in that taxi)!
Emma LOVES the Disney store. And the one on Michigan Avenue does not disappoint. From the dramatic entrance to the friendly staff, it is amazing! They all addressed Emma as Princess Anna & showed her a castle. When we finally make it to the real Disney World one day, it's going to blow her mind.
The movie screen in the back was playing "Let It Go" and Emma put on a little performance right there. She full on belted it out (because really, there's no quiet way to sing Let It Go) & even added in motions.
We decided on pizza at Gino's East for lunch. We ate way later than our normal 11:30am & we were starving!
These are our "We're so hungry! Feed us now!" faces.
Gino's East is covered with all kinds of graffiti & our waitress gave us some white-out so we could add to it. We wrote something to commemorate our day & then I let Emma draw something.
For dessert, we walked over to the Hershey's store. I let Emma choose a dessert for us to share & she chose a brownie sundae. This thing was huge & it. was. delicious!! We LOVE sweet treats!
I carried Emma about a mile down Michigan Avenue (thus no longer feeling any guilt about that huge brownie sundae!) and we took some pictures by the river. I love our city! I couldn't imagine living anywhere else.
Emma chose taking the boat taxi back to the train station.
We hurried through the train station & barely made it to our train on time. We were tired & sweaty by the time we found an empty seat!
Emma really wanted to sit on the upper level of the train. Once the train emptied out a little, we were able to snag some seats up top for the last part of our trip. This is a pic of us being "cool kids" and sitting up top!
I can't wait to experience more of these days with Emma & with Hailey, too. The more I said "yes", the more I got to know her & enjoy who God has made her to be. It's so easy to get caught up in the day-to-day, but I just never want to miss out on who my kids are through these crazy seasons of life. I very much feel the weight of how quickly it goes by. We're never guaranteed more time. Instead of responding to that truth with fear, I want to respond to it by making the most with the time I have.
What are ways you get to know your kids better? What are your favorite yes-mom moments? I would genuinely love to know!
Have a wonderful weekend, friends!
This inspires me to take my girl on a trip! I've been promising her for two years that her and I will do Disney alone (it's just an hour away) and I keep putting it in the back of my mind. Thanks for sharing! BTW, the town that I grew up in (Waukegan) was just an hour away from downtown Chicago on the train, and my parents used to take me all the time :)
ReplyDeleteThat's so cool that you live so close to Disney! How fun!! I grew up in Mundelein, so we were practically neighbors! :)
DeleteWhat a beautiful day! I'm sure she will cherish that day forever. We need to do more one on ones with our kids. And I wish we had a Disney store! That looks like so much fun. Have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteI know I will cherish it forever, that's for sure! :) You have a great weekend too!
DeleteOh I love, love, LOVE this! What a great mommy/daughter day! She will surely remember these special days as she grows older! I love that she belted out her song in the Disney store - we should all dance and sing like nobody is watching more often!!!
ReplyDeleteWe really had so much fun! And yes! We should all be a little more free to be ourselves :) Kids are such a great reminder of that!
DeleteOk, this is my favorite post EVER! Love that you made such a special day for your sweet girl, you can tell it was such a wonderful experience for you both.
ReplyDeleteYou're so sweet! We did have such a good time :)
DeleteWhat a fun day! I hope to take my nephew to Chicago soon!
ReplyDeleteIt's such a great city!
DeleteWhat a great "date day" with your girl!!! Aren't you glad you didn't say "no, it's too hard..too far..too much work??" Awesome. I used to live in Chicago and it's such a great city!!!!!! XOXO
ReplyDeleteSO glad I took on the challenge! :) and yes, Chicago is awesome!
DeleteI love this, Lori. What an amazing way to say yes. Instead of saying no, because it cousin be hard or turn out badly. I love the way you intentionally love on and pour into your littles.
ReplyDeleteThank you!! That means a lot!
DeleteSo so sweet Lori, I love the idea of making special time for each of your children, we have talked about doing this too. What a great adventure!
ReplyDeleteIt's been harder to make time individually since having 2. We're still working on being consistent with it!
DeleteOh my word, I LOVE this post, and I need to do this with my girls. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteThank you! :)
DeleteI looooove this post. What a fun and special day. Thanks for sharing it....it put a smile on my face this morning. :)
ReplyDeleteHappy to put a smile on your face, friend! :)
DeleteI'm from Brookfield (and now live in California) but it's SO nice to see Chicago in your pictures, makes me miss it a LOT! But luckily I'm going home next month. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet day with your daughter! One on one time is so precious. You really get to see who she is and pay attention to just her. I love that you were a yes mom and did what she wanted. It's the littlest things that makes kids so happy! Way to go mama!!
I'm sure California is equally as amazing!! And it beats Chicago in the weather department :) Thanks for the sweet words of encouragement.
DeleteWhat a special day of mother daughter time! I'm sure both of you will remember that day forever!
ReplyDeleteKelsey
www.thepeacockroost.com
I know I'll remember it forever & thank God we have pictures to jog her little memory ;-)
DeleteLove this! These will be some of the great memories she will remember!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad I followed this link from the link up! What a special day. I want to do this with my little one when she's older! Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThis is the stuff memories are made of! How fun!
ReplyDelete