Well, it has been quiet around here (or something else cliche, acknowledging that I haven't blogged in weeks).
Life has been full. Full & busy with friends, birthdays, dinners, other hobbies, family. All sorts of good busy & full.
By the end of the day, I am exhausted. Ready to just sit & be still. Blogging has taken a backseat to things that mean much more to me.
I've realized that I can be kind of a hobby whore (okay, whore is a really strong word. More of a hobby player, but that doesn't role off the tongue quite as nicely, thankyouverymuch alliteration). I fall into a hobby, feel passionate & excited about it, then the passion fades & I often move on to the next thing. Unless I find a clear purpose, it's hard to push through. I am still unsure of my purpose when it comes to blogging. I love to write, I love the way it sparks my creativity, and I love the connection with you all - my friends (current & long lost), family, fellow blogger friends. However, I find myself asking the same questions as I did last year - is this the right season of life for this for me? Where does this fit into my life? And what does it look like?
As I've shared here before, I'm currently making my way through Bread & Wine by Shauna Niequist. She wrote the following in a chapter about what she's learned from her mom:
"...I tell them the story of my mom. I tell them there's still so much time and still so much to be done. I tell them it doesn't have to be full-time, or all-or-nothing, or all-at-once. I tell them what my mom tells me - that you just have to take one step, and that when you do, the next one will appear. I tell them the path doesn't have to be a straight line, and that often it only makes sense when you look back at it. I tell them that when my mom was my age, she was a stay-at-home mom. She wasn't yet an oil painter or a potter or an AIDS activist or an expert on peacekeeping. There's still time, I tell them and I tell myself. There's still time."
If there was ever a paragraph that spoke to my heart, my hobbies, my passions, it would be this one. When it comes to life (& most buffets), my eyes are often bigger than my stomach. I genuinely want to do so much more than I'm capable of doing.
This isn't all to say that I won't be blogging anymore (you're not getting off that easy friends, sorry!), but I wanted to clarify why I've been quiet. It's not for lack of inspiration, audience, motivation, or desire. It's simply a stage-of-life sort of thing.
All this to say, I'm still here. I'm just giving myself permission to be inconsistent, to be less than perfect. This likely won't "grow my blog", but it sure as hell is growing me.
"But the Lord answered her, 'Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.'" ~Luke 10:41-42~
Love this, Lori. And you. And your writing. And the way you are choosing the good portion. I love that you are choosing to stay healthy and full. But...you better not stop all together. 😉
ReplyDeleteThank you friend :) I promise I'm not stopping all together (especially promise I'm not leaving you hanging on our link up - haha!) Just finding my pace.
DeleteA great post and wise words in that book! I hope you continue to blog and it gives you joy! I do enjoy reading your posts, you have great sense of humor!!
ReplyDeleteI love this. Just being able to give yourself the time you need when you need it and not be plagued by guilt or feeling like you are missing out. I am in the midst of a few major life changes right now and my blog is not my first priority, but it is something I will do when I need to have my creative outlet for my sanity! I love this line, "This likely won't "grow my blog", but it sure as hell is growing me."
ReplyDeleteThis is all just so well said, and beautiful, really. And I also LOVED that same excerpt from Shauna (read it in her devotional). It filled me with hope & excitement & peace. It's really inspiring that you are using your heart and your faith as your guide with your blogging -- and your life! Thanks for sharing every word today. :)
ReplyDeleteI so relate to this! Sometimes I look at my life and think there is so much I want to do but I feel like I don't have enough time. Thank you for sharing this today. I've been wanting to read Savor (So much I want to read!) and it seems like I need to do it soon. I enjoy reding your blog and will still be reading along when you do get to writing.
ReplyDeleteI was wondering what happened to your pretty face!!! Thanks for filling us in :) Blogging actually is a lot of work, only do it if you enjoy it :) I used to only blog about family stuff and now I can look back on all that as a "digital scrapbook." If anything, it's good for that :) You are still on my reading list, so I'll still keep up with you! XOXO
ReplyDelete